About the Emblem
Pope Pius XII is Catholic Scouting’s church-related ministries and vocation program. The program deals with different life choices (single, married, religious, ordained), occupations and ministries in the church as calls from God. It includes youth led discussions on current issues facing the church and society, which are normally included as part of a Pius XII retreat or day of recollection.
- Registered Venturers, Sea Scouts, and Scouts of Catholic Faith, regardless of gender.
- Designed for age 15-16 year old, but all registered Venturers and Sea Scouts before their 21st birthday and all registered Scouts (in high school) before their 18th birthday.
- Each Venture Crew Member and Scout must have their own Activity Book (Pope Pius XII Religious Emblem Participant Manual, Publication Date: 2017). These manuals ae available only from the NCCS Online Store. The program should be run by the candidates themselves, the adult serves as a Moderator
- Ideal group size is 4-12, but the course may be run with smaller groups.
- A number of interviews and an investigation of a controversial issue facing the church or society are integral to the program.
- A retreat experience, ideally centered on the Pius XII program itself and a ministries service project are required.
- The program is designed to be completed in 9-12 sessions. As the youth are older, two hour sessions seem to work well, and flexibility is often required in scheduling sessions and interview feed back’s.
- Successfully complete a Pope Pius XII Board of Review.
- Diocesan and BSA Youth Protection policies must be followed.
- A trained religious emblems coordinator/counselor/moderator is required to work on religious emblems. Contact your Diocesan Catholic Committee on Scouting to become trained and for ceremony schedules.
- Identify a counselor. Ask your Scoutmaster, pastor, parish administrator, director if religious education, any member of the troop committee, or Diocesan Catholic Committee on Scouting if there is a emblem counselor in your parish or area.
- After you have selected your counselor, you must complete the application to begin working on the Emblem program. The application is in the Pope Pius XII Emblem book. The approval application must be signed by the applicant, parent, counselor, Unit leader, and pastor.
- Again, Participant Manuals are available only from the NCCS Online Store.