About the Emblem
The “Light is Life” is a program developed for scouts of the Eastern-rite Catholic Churches. Light is Life respects the cultural and ritual differences among the various Eastern Catholic Churches. The overall goal of the Light is Life religious emblem program is to bring about in the Scout, through their Eastern Catholic Scouting experience, a deeper awareness of their share in faith-life. Then going forth, they will witness this life through maturity in communal worship and in Christian formation of his world.
This program is to be used by the Eastern Catholic Scouts rather than the Ad Altare Dei program. It is not appropriate to work on both programs.
- The most important aspect of the program is that the Scout grows in his spiritual experience of their relationship to God and the church.
- Registered Scout of one of the Eastern Catholic Churches.
- Designed for scouts 12-13 years old, older or younger scouts may use this program. Must be completed by the youth’s 18th birthday. Scouts in an Eastern Catholic Church are to work on Light is Life rather than the Ad Altare Dei emblem.
- Each Scout must have his own Activity Book (Light is Life Scout Manual, Publication Date: 1997). The book is designed for the youth to work on with the guidance of a counselor.
- The program is designed to be completed in 12 months.
- The use of a Catholic Bible is required for this program.
- Diocesan and BSA Youth Protection policies must be followed.
- A trained religious emblems coordinator/counselor/moderator is required to work on religious emblems. Contact your Eparchial Catholic Committee on Scouting to become trained and for ceremony schedules.
- Identify a counselor. Ask your Scoutmaster, pastor, parish administrator, director if religious education, any member of the troop committee, or Eparchial Catholic Committee on Scouting if there is a emblem counselor in your parish or area.
- After you have selected your counselor, you must complete the application to begin working on the Light is Life emblem. The application is in the Light is Life Emblem book. You should first get the signature of your parents stating that they approve of your involvement in the program. You should then have the counselor sign that (s)he is willing to work with you on the program. The Scoutmaster should then sign certifying that you have met all the requirements to start the program, and that (s)he is aware of your involvement in the program. Lastly, you should get the approval of your pastor for you to work on and receive the emblem.
- The Light is Life book belonging to the Eastern Catholic Churches can generally be obtained from your Eparchial Catholic Committee on Scouting or NCCS, BSA, 1325 W. Walnut Hill Ln., P.O. Box 152079, Irving, TX 75015-2079 or directly from the NCCS Online Store.